Opened in August 1863 by entrepreneur John T. Ford, the downtown Washington, D.C. theatre closed nearly two years later after President Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth. The government purchased the property in 1866 and over the next 90 years it was an office building, warehouse and museum. In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a Congressional act to restore the theatre. Reconstruction began ten years later. In 1968, a beautifully restored Ford's Theatre reopened with the play "John Brown's Body." Today, this national historic and cultural site continues to be a live, working theatre. For more information, visit www.fordstheatre.org.